Current affairs and news on return to work for cancer survivors and professionals.
Volunteer of the Year 2018 voting
Vote for Henri Hämäläinen (Helsinki) in the Volunteer of the Year 2018 voting organized by the Kansalaisareena – Citizen Forum in the period of 1-31 October 2018. More information in Finnish at Kansalaisareena.
Voluntary work has played an important role in Henri’s life ever since he joined a voluntary fire brigade (Oitbacka FBK-VPK) at a young age over 25 years ago. He is still an active and a proud voluntary fireman.
In 2016, Henri was diagnosed with chronic leukemia. After having overcome severe complications in the early stages of the treatment, Henri joined a peer group at the Association of Cancer Patients in Finland (Suomen Syöpäpotilaat ry) as a support person. Very soon he became an active member who is involved in creating new ways of working, participates in international meetings as a representative for CML patients, and conveys messages through the local network in Finland.
Henri has also given his face and story to the messages that the ”Me, cancer and work” project is driving: a cancer patient can continue working. Henri has spoken in a peer event, created a video for educational use and will, during the course of the autumn, join training sessions organized for occupational health professionals as well as speak at the seminar “Hyvänlaatuista työtä etsimässä” as part of the Me, cancer and work initiative.
Henri is an excellent example illustrating that cancer patients are persons that have many things going on in their lives: family, work, volunteering, sports – and cancer. Fitting all of that in one’s life requires organizational skills and Henri has that. One more proof of that is his third area of volunteering: coaching his son’s ice hockey team.
Writing prompt 2018
To all the wannabe writers out there, check out our writing prompt 2018. Anyone who wishes to use fiction to explore and give insights into the world of future cancer care, peer support or beginning work is very welcome to participate.
1. Benign work: (Me,) cancer and work
2. Peer support (sharing with others)
3. Future cancer care/treatment and research
4. Choose your own topic
Your writing can be either a work of fiction or factual, the genre and title is up to you, although regular blog posts do not fit in this definition. There is no compensation paid for submissions and participation is free of charge. The prompt will run until 14 October 2018.
Check out the instructions on how to participate.
Blog series Greetings from Work
Share your blog post about work, studying or coping with work.
- The style is up to you: you can blog a professional analysis, a story, share your own experience on cancer or that of a loved one, humorous text, poem, fictional story or something else.
- We can help you with proofreading, so don’t worry about grammar or punctuation.
- Recommended length of the text is approx. 300-600 words.
- Submit the text as a Word or equivalent file (not PDF files) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Let us know whether you’d like to use your own name, a pen name or if the text should be published anonymously. Kindly include a pen name. More information on submitting an anonymous text in Finnish.
- Also include a short text to describe yourself: ”The writer…”
- If you wish, you can additionally include a cover and photos to illustrate your blog post (either in JPG or PNG format), let us know who the photographer is and consider copyrights.
- The texts will be published in the order of delivery.